Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Pittsburgh's quirky

Let's start a list of weird things about Pittsburgh:
  1. What I call "The Pittsburgh Left". Pittsburghers often let the first person turning left at a light that just turned green go before the rest of the traffic continues straight through the intersection. People sometimes flash their lights at you to let you know they are going to let you have a Pittsburgh left. People will also almost hit you with their car if you do not observe their "right" to a Pittsburgh left. We're not sure where the law stands on this.
  2. In Pittsburgh, sometimes you pay when you get on the bus, and sometimes you pay when you get on. You always pay when you get on if the bus does not pass through the downtown core on its route (59U). You pay when you get on a bus if it is on its way downtown, and off if its on its way out of downtown (61C). Oh, but if it's after 7pm you always pay when you get on. This is very confusing to me. I have a bus pass. I usually just show it on my way in and out, though it makes me look like a tourist. A tourist with a bus pass.
  3. This next one is jokingly referred to as the Pittsburgh salad phenomenon, by which would everything (including salads) has fries, cheese and meat on it. If you don't believe me check out Primanti Brother's sandwiches. They make a vegetarian version, which just has cheese, and I must say it was the blandest 1500 calories I ever ate. The salad bar at work even has pepperoni. My office mate, Andrew, has pepperoni on his salads, so I know it's not just for show. I've asked where the tofu is, they're not sure. There is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's in Pittsburgh, so I know I'm not the only person in the city who eats these things.
I'm sure I'll add to this list as time marches on...

No comments: